Thursday 13 September 2018

Hydrography

Hydrography

Hydrography refers to the distribution and mapping of bodies of water. In this step, you'll determine how much of your world is covered with water.

66-90 - 80%

A tall polygon of water. Shit, I need to actually map things now.




So, I break out Photoshop, and lucky me, I still have a hexagon pattern fill. A quick googling for a unfolded dodecahedron gets me a blank template, and I fill it in. Pattern is too big, scale it back some, and shit, how do you do the area of a pentagon? 1/2*perimeter*apothem. Good thing theres a calculator. Target number is 58, fuck me this is too hard. 20% scale gets me something that looks about right:
Now we look at some chart, which tells us on the (20-sided) polyhedral map, our 80% water world should have 8 water, 6 water/minor island, 4 water/major islands, and 2 water/land regions. So more bad math ((x/20)*12), 12 sides means we get 5 water, 4 water/minor, 2 water/major, and 1 water/land regions. Adds up to 12 holy shit. Lets throw those on the map arbitrarily.
W being water with no appreciable islands, an ocean. W/Mi being minor islands, examples being the Central Pacific or Caribbean. W/Mj being major islands, like Indonesia. W/L being half and half land, like Europe and the Mediterranean.

No comments:

Post a Comment